The Serbian–American Women’s Leadership Network is a one-year activity, worth $200,000, which will help develop closer ties between Serbian women leaders and their American counterparts in order to help Serbian women to become one of the leading forces for development and growth in their country. Given that women are among the most underutilized human resource in Serbia, and that they are under-represented in leadership roles at many levels of society, this activity will help build and strengthen the capacity of Serbian women leaders so that they can actively participate in guiding Serbia forward by taking on leadership initiatives.
Project components include:
The leadership network will build a women’s leadership corps that will contribute proactively to Serbia’s future, help Serbia democratize better and faster, and prepare the country for entry into the European Union. Specifically, a group of Serbian Women Leaders will be identified and brought to the U.S. to establish friendship and connections with their Serbian-American counterparts. This study tour will help build and strengthen the capacity of Serbian women leaders. A conference in Serbia with American women leaders participating will also be supported, as well as a media campaign related to project activities.
Expected results include:
- The Serbian-American Women Leaders Network established;
- The Serbian-American Women Leaders Paper developed;
- Development and empowerment of the group of Serbian women leaders;
- Raised public awareness of women as leaders in Serbia;
- Business contacts, ideas, and projects developed among women involved in the project;
- The Women Leaders Conference organized to strengthen the network and recruit new members.
The project is being implemented by the Serbian Unity Congress through a direct grant from USAID, which was awarded in February 2011. For more information about this activity, please contact the grantee’s office at +381 11 3282-960.